We're on the hunt for another Front-end Developer to join our team in Wellington. Working at Catch will see you delivering world class customer experiences for some of New Zealand's most iconic brands, including 2degrees, Mercury, NZ Olympic Committee, Warehouse Group and Fonterra.
Who's Catch? Most call us a digital agency, but let's face it, if you tell your folks you work at a 'digital agency', their eyes glaze over. To make it simple, we’ve created a handy list of things we don’t do: we don’t perform brain surgery, build space rockets, reupholster antique furniture, repair wind instruments, design yogurt packaging or create television commercials.
You will be joining a 20 strong team of thinkers, creatives and technologists who share a passion for human centered design. We work in a collaborative environment where long-term client partnerships are valued over one-off engagements — we want long-term commitment, less one-night stands.
You're relentlessly positive and solution-focussed, and thrive on tight deadlines and working in a constantly evolving industry.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Writing clean, maintainable, beautifully thought-out code – this is a hands on role
- Creating and maintaining digital pattern libraries
- Working in a fast-paced environment — this is an agency role, not client-side
- Contributing ideas and helping to improve our development processes
- Inputting into technologies and processes adopted by the development team
- Helping maintain and devise strategies to improve code quality through code reviews and automated processes
- Working closely with our wider design and production team to review designs and user experiences
- Creating capability to continually improve function and cross browser testing
- We value proven experience over qualifications
- Agency experience is a must
- 3+ years of proven experience, delivering small to large interactive/digital projects on time, within budget and with happy clients
- You’re a patient calm head that exudes charm and grace, even when the desire to poke your eyeballs out is uncontrollable
- Experience working within Agile teams
- Appreciation of human-centred design and a strong desire to work in a creative environment
- Willingness to travel, predominantly to main cities in NZ (occasionally overnight)
- Understand and work well within clearly defined project constraints, such as client goals, technical considerations and budgets/schedules
- Excellent problem solving skills, a love for technical challenges, and a willingness to learn.
- Ability to work in a variety of client settings and across platforms
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of people
- Proven experience working with:
- CSS pre-processors esp. SCSS/SASS
- Browser/platform compatibility issues
- Templating languages esp. nunjucks/jinja, SilverStripe, JSX, JSP
- Some experience with:
- SMACSS or ITCSS and BEM
- Pattern libraries
- Experience of the following is also desirable:
- We pay our staff well and offer the chance to work in a supportive and collaborative environment
- Our beautiful new offices are in central Wellington, just off Courtney Place – the heart of Wellington's cafe and bar culture
- A lot of our team have young families, so we are always striving to work reasonable hours. A big part of your job is helping us meet our deadlines and get out of the office by 5:30pm
- We want you to rest and make time for yourself. You’ll get your birthday off as well as five weeks holiday every year
- We choose our clients carefully. You’ll help solve interesting problems for good people doing worthwhile things. If things get hairy, we’ll have your back
Applicants for this position MUST be living in NZ and have NZ residency or a valid NZ work permit.
To apply, we need the following:
- A cover letter introducing yourself, telling us why you want to work in this industry and why you're right for the right catch... for Catch
- An up-to-date CV which outlines your relevant work/study experience
- At least two relevant references we can contact.