Android Mobile App Developer
We're on the hunt for an Android Mobile App Developer to join our growing team at Catch in Wellington. Working at Catch will see you working on the digital experiences for some of New Zealand's most iconic brands, including 2degrees, Mercury, NZ Olympic Committee, Warehouse Group and Fonterra – helping shape their digital futures and key customer journeys.
Who's Catch? Most call us a digital agency, but let's face it, if you tell your folks you work at a 'digital agency', their eyes will glaze over. If it's easier, you could tell them what we don’t do: we don’t perform brain surgery, build foiling boats, upholster antique furniture, repair wind instruments, design vegan yoghurt containers or edit television commercials.
You'll be joining a growing team of researchers, writers, digital strategists, digital designers, producers and technologists who share a passion for human centered digital design. Our team works in a collaborative environment where we value long-term client partnerships, as opposed to one-off engagements. We constantly strive to create meaningful digital experiences that help our clients engage with people, enhance that engagement and enable them to get on with their lives.
You’ll be an equal-contributor on all projects and at all levels. And as the inevitable avalanche of tasks, deadlines, demands and client feedback mount up in one’s inbox, your sense of calm, maturity and common sense will override any desire to poke your eyeballs out, while upholding and maintaining solid coding and documentation practices.
ON ANY GIVEN DAY...
You'll be working across a range of projects doing the following:
- Building beautiful mobile experiences
- Immersing yourself within our clients' teams, understanding their challenges and opportunities, as well as their product and service offerings
- Integrating with a myriad of web services and social platforms (XML, JSON, JWT, REST, OAuth, Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.)
- Develop against a variety of web architectures and services, such as HTTP, REST, SOAP etc.
- Inputting into technologies and processes adopted by the development team
- Helping maintain and devise strategies to improve code quality and automated processes
- Working closely with our wider design and production team to review designs and user experiences
- Creating capability to continually improve function and testability
You have an attention to detail that borders on the obsessive, with a deep understanding of how technology impacts the end user experience. You think creatively and constantly look for new ways to innovate. We're looking for someone who takes pride and ownership in their work, and who has:
- 2+ years commercial experience developing native Android applications
- Understanding of dependency management and task automation
- Solid experience with git
- Appreciation of design and desire to work in a creative environment
- Understand and work well within clearly defined project constraints, such as client goals, technical considerations and budgets/schedules
- Experience working with a wide range of devices, resolutions, pixel densities and capabilities
- Experience optimising perfomance, managing CPU utilisation, memory usage etc
- Knowlegde of OS and device limitations
- Experience with Android NDK / C / C++
- Experience with OSX
- Experience with React Native
- Experience with NodeJS, Ruby and or PHP frameworks
- Experience with working with webservices and various message formats esp. SOAP, REST, JSON, XML, JWT
- We pay our staff what they're worth. We offer the chance to work in a supportive and family environment, with great perks and salary packages typically above market rates
- Our office is in central Wellington, just off Cuba Street – the heart of Wellington's cafe and bar culture
- A lot of our team have young families, so we are always striving to work reasonable hours. A big part of your job is helping us meet our deadlines and get out of the office by 5:30pm
- We want you to rest and make time for yourself. You’ll get your birthday off as well as five weeks holiday every year
- We choose our clients carefully. You’ll help solve interesting problems for good people doing worthwhile things. If things get hairy, we’ll have your back.
Applicants for this position MUST be living in NZ and have NZ residency or a valid NZ work permit.
To apply, please provide us with an up-to-date CV which outlines your relevant work experience, a recent portfolio of your work, at least two relevant references we can contact, your expectations on salary, and a cover letter introducing yourself.